Skill development in solar industry:
- India proposes to deploy 1, 00,000 MW of solar energy by 2019. To achieve this target and successfully operate and manage these power plants, it is critical to build qualified/skilled manpower in solar energy science and technologies.
- Recognizing the need and urgency, government has launched various schemes for the creation of a skilled workforce regarding this sector.
MNRE notifies year-wise targets to achieve the 100GW solar capacity:
- The New and Renewable Energy Ministry (MNRE) has notified a resolution on 6thJuly, 2015, which defines the Year-wise targets, so as to achieve the 100GW solar Capacity in next 7 years (I.e. by FY 2021-22).
- The Ministry has stated that out of total 100GW solar energy target, 40GW solar capacity will be achieved through the Solar Rooftop system installations, while the remaining 60GW will come through medium and large scale grid connected solar power projects including projects in the solar parks.
The Year-wise targets defined to accomplish the targets of 100GW solar power is provided in the graph below:
Opportunities in solar industry:
Following are the major sectors where skilled professionals are needed:
How to become a solar entrepreneur!
- There are innumerable opportunities for implementing an innovative renewable energy solution. However, the best place to start looking is in your own area of expertise.
- Solar energy is about more than just electricity generation; you also don’t need to invent a new product or technology, choosing instead to get involved in installation, repair/maintenance or consulting. Think broadly, and remember your areas of expertise.
- Mapping the customer needs is the most important step. The best space is your own area of expertise and understands needs of the target customers in the areas of electricity generation/heating/cooling requirements.
- Identify the products available in the market, talk to friends/colleagues/family which will help you to get ideas and identify innovative solutions. Once the product solution is identified, design & implementation need to be done. Partner with someone who will help in the implementation in case if you are not able to do.
- The easy target customers are residential and small product users which require minimal design expertise. One can start approaching small customers upon getting commercial segment.
- One can approach local industry trained bodies and list of companies in your area. Also you can approach residential apartment owners to whom one and one marketing can be done.
- Please keep in mind that the conversion rate of the interested customers will be only 5%. Out of 5% interested customers, we can close 7 to 10%. One has wider base to reach out through.
MNRE manufacturing policy:
- Several financing options in the market. Some of them are Mudra Bank Scheme, Govt of India has CREDIT GUARANTEE FUND TRUST FOR MICRO AND SMALL ENTERPRISES (CGTMSE) for first generation entrepreneurs. IREDA also giving loans for solar power.
- SBI, PNB loans for rooftop solar can be obtained. Please approach local branches for more details.
Basic Skills Required:
- Design knowledge
- IEC standards of the products
- Basic PV software knowledge for simulation. (30 days trail version of PVsyst & PVsol are available in the net. Then you can look at buying license for the software.
- Basic sales skills.
Success is a journey and not a destination!